Michelle Benson grew up on a farm in Murdock, MN – a small town in western Minnesota. It was there that she learned the value of hard work and responsibility.
Michelle attended St. Catherine University in St. Paul for her undergraduate studies, majoring in Chemistry. After that, she attended the University of St. Thomas, where she was awarded her MBA and became a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Michelle Benson is married to Craig, a retired Naval Officer. Together, Michelle and Craig have three children: Calvin, Grant, and Claire. She is an active school, church, Cub Scouts, and sports team volunteer.
During her campaign, she received numerous endorsements, including the Minnesota Police & Peace Officer’s Association (MPPOA), the Voice of Conservative Women, Minnesotans Concerned for Life (MCCL), the National Rifle Assocation (NRA), the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB), and the Republican Party of Minnesota (MNGOP).
Senator Michelle Benson was first elected to the Minnesota State Senate in November, 2010 and currently resides in Ham Lake with her family.
- Board Member, The Way of the Shepherd Montessori School
- Volunteer Cub Scout Den Leader
- Active Member of Epiphany Catholic Church since 1996
- Minnesota State Senator since 2010
- Served on:
- Health and Human Services committee
- Energy committee
- Agriculture committee
- Government Reform and Redesign committee
- Healthcare Reform Task Force
- Capitol Security Commission
- Executive Director, Upper Midwest Security Alliance
- Auditor and Consultant, Deloitte & Touche CPA
- University of St. Thomas, MBA
- College of St. Catherine, B.A. Chemistry